SUBMISSIONS CANNOT BE TWO-DIMENSIONAL
An exhibition about photography.
Photography is ubiquitous in contemporary society as the camera takes on many roles: it can function as protective or invasive, act as companion or fuel fear, record evidence or misguide our trust. It can store memories or manipulate them. Technology and social media platforms have effectively catapulted photography into a new realm of accessibility. We have become so accustomed to the language of photography since digitization that seeing photographs (still flat) in a gallery space has become rather boring. Our engagement with photographs has become passive and comfortable - completely negating the objectness of the image, the camera essentially functions to translate or transform a 3D spatial experience into a flattened 2D reading. OFF THE WALL aims to direct our engagement toward the photographic process and its various incarnations, interrogating the very nature, function or position of the camera itself in relation to a particular environment.
Selected works will be exhibited in public spaces and partnered galleries across JHB and Cape Town. Suitable context will be assigned in accordance with the particular work.
- Entries must include some form of photographic material / reference.
- Entries may not be entirely 2D.
- Applicants are required to submit supporting text.
- Applicants may submit more than one work (a series of works).
- Works must be fully realized by the submission deadline. For exceptional cases please email firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
- Open to submissions from all African countries. Selected works from outside of Cape Town must be sent to Cape Town 1 month in advance of the exhibition opening. Should you require assistance with these arrangements please contact us.
- Applications are not limited to a set scale. These decisions depend entirely on the nature of the work.
Selected entries will be included in an OFF THE WALL exhibition/s to take place in Cape Town, early-mid 2015 - Venue/s TBA